Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Publishing Imperfection

I was first published in seventh grade when I entered and won a school-wide poetry competition.  It was the first time I had really shared my work, and it was exhilarating.  An essay I wrote was also published when I was a sophomore in high school in the Diocese of Charlotte News and Herald.  That was also exciting I suppose, but not nearly as important to me.  My most emotionally significant publication was with UNCG's very own Coraddi.  I was likely glowing with joy and thought I was simply the bee's knees.  Unfortunately, no one else seemed to care.  But hey, this is probably one of my proudest accomplishments, so I say I'M AWESOME and you better recognize!


I have sense been published, and I hope to publish more work in the future.  Looking back at my first few publications, I have come to realize their utter mediocrity.  They were perfect representations of imperfections, but they represented me as a writer at that time in my life.  And I, as a writer, believe it is important to document and, if you can, publish your work as you develop and evolve.  This is a lesson I plan to teach my own students.  I want to provide them with a plethora of opportunities to publish their imperfect work and share it with the world, with all its complements and criticisms.  Because, despite the response of your audience, publishing something that was completely your own creation honestly redefines awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Anytime you subject the product of your heart to the scrutiny of the world, someone will try to crush it. Why? Because that's unhappy people do, they try to steal the fulfillment your gift produces because they find no fulfillment in anything. However, as you are learning, it doesn't really matter what your audience thinks, unless you your fulfillment depends on their approval.

    ReplyDelete